Any balance not paid or covered by financial aid by the due
date noted on any bill will be subject to a late payment fee of
In addition to the $250 fee, students with unpaid balances
will have a "hold" placed on their records. This means they
will be unable to receive grades or transcripts, register for
classes, or receive diplomas.
If any amount is still outstanding at the end of the term,
Rensselaer will require you to take a leave of absence.
Re-admittance will be contingent upon payment of money owed
plus full payment in advance for the next term.
Should you fail to pay amounts due, the Institute may
increase the amounts due by any attorney and collection agency
fees, or any other costs or charges incurred in the collection
of any amount not paid when due.
If you have been assessed a late fee please read the
1. Late fee appeals may only be done in
writing through email to "Bursar@rpi.edu".
2. Appeals are only approved in rare instances involving
extreme and unusual circumstances.
3. Examples are medical emergencies or severe personal
hardships such as a loss of job or family member.
4. These circumstances must be supplemented and justified in
writing with supporting documentation.
5. You may only appeal your late fee if you feel you fall
into these categories.
6. NOT receiving a bill is
NOT justification enough to warrant an appeal.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your bill is paid in a
timely manner whether you receive a bill or not.
7. Once you file an appeal, it is reviewed by an
Appeals Committee and not by any one
8. The decision of the Committee is
9. If your appeal is ultimately denied, you MAY
NOT file another appeal. Please make sure you are
completely thorough in your initial request.