Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
About RPIAcademicsResearchStudent LifeAdmissionsNewsTour
The Graduate School, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Division of Finance


Student Employment Changes

A new and improved student employment process will be effective May 1, 2017. Some of the highlights are as follows:

  • Students will be issued a student employment card once they are authorized to work on campus.
  • Certified Student Employment Liaisons have been identified in each portfolio and will issue the cards.
  • A Student Employment Website was also created with information, helpful to students, supervisors, and parents. )
  • A Student Employment Policy and Handbook are now available on the website.

In order to ensure student workers have completed all required documentation, including Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, Rensselaer will be implementing a new process that must be followed before any student can begin work. This process is applicable to any student who receives money from Rensselaer for any type of work on campus as an Undergraduate or Graduate Student. Types of work include Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant, Resident Assistant, Resident Learning Assistants, Federal Work Study, students funded by the Undergraduate Research Program, and any other on-campus employment. Students receiving Fellowships are excluded from this process.

As of May 1, 2017, all student workers must obtain a student employment card before they begin work.


The card is intended to show a student’s supervisor that they have completed the required paperwork, specifically Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, and is eligible to begin working. If a student does not have one of these cards on their first day of work, the supervisor cannot let them start working. Accountability will fall with the supervisor.

Important things to know about the card

  • Students will need to get an updated card each year. The card that will be issued beginning in May 2017 will be valid until May 31, 2018 and will be red in color. Students will need to obtain an updated card for the following year and show the card to their supervisor. The card will be a different color each year.
  • Only new student workers or students who have taken a consecutive two academic term break from working will need to complete a new Form I-9. Original documents to verify identity are required when completing this form (i.e., Passport, SSN card, Driver’s License are some examples.) Copies are not allowed.
  • If a student has worked in the past and have not taken a consecutive two academic term break, they will not need to complete additional paperwork. They only need to obtain the employment card.